UWBC Vision, Mission and Goals
The Vision Statement for UWBC, adopted at a center-wide retreat
on 6/94, is:
"UWBC is Wisconsin's catalyst to advance biotechnology research,
education and industry for the benefit of society and the environment."
The Mission, as refined during the UWBC's Strategic Planning process
in 1991, is:
"The mission of the UW Biotechnology Center is to maximize the benefits
of biotechnology to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin
System, state and nation by being an excellent quality, comprehensive, multidisciplinary
biotechnology center that supports, coordinates, disseminates and advances
The Goals, as refined and prioritized during the Strategic Planning
- To develop and provide excellent research tools and capabilities through
our resource facilities.
- To provide the organization and environment necessary to accomplish
UWBC mission and goals.
- To catalyze the formation of and participate in cross-disciplinary
research programs campus-wide and with industry that use campus research
strengths and facilities to solve practical problems of state and national
- To secure funds for and aid campus units and others in obtaining support
for biotechnology service, research, education, and training.
- To increase public awareness and understanding of biotechnology and
- To inform the public about the resources, programs, and activities
of UWBC and the university biotechnology community.
- To coordinate and participate in training activities for students and
visiting scientists in biotechnology.
- To become a resource center for biotechnology information and education.
- To facilitate the process by which new research results are transferred
to companies to stimulate economic development.
- To gain a broader perspective of biotechnology-related issues by stimulating
interaction among the biotechnology disciplines.
- To work with Wisconsin
Alumni Research Foundation to increase UW patenting
and licensing activities.
- To provide expertise for the formulation and evaluation of public policy!